6/08/2004

Faster than Joel in the sack...

"Did you do this? All of this?"
"All of what?"
"The Vatican. U-Utah. Did you do that?"
"Yes."
"W-why?"
"You came here to ask me why?"
"No, I came here... to ask you... to put it back."
"Why?"
"Because you're not God."
"Are you sure?"

Ever wondered what would happen if Superman became unhinged? We're talking about a being of immense power here. He's the superhero every other superhero is judged by. His awesome abilities are normally held in check by a strong sense of justice and the desire to do what's right. But if he ever lost that, if he ever started to do whatever the hell he wanted, if he went insane, then that would be the end. And it wouldn't just be the end of man, but the end of our planet as well. This idea is finally explored in Powers, which you'll remember me gassing on about in an earlier post. Of course, it isn't really Superman taking centre stage here; just a character who's pretty much the same as him. Imagine somebody with the power to follow through with what I quote next, and tell me that doesn't send a shiver down your spine.

"I tried so hard to be there for you. To serve you. I tried so hard to make sense of you and what you needed from me. I wanted to be there. I wanted to serve. But then it occured to me -- I asked myself the incredibly obvious question: why am I so much more than you? Why are you so small, and I am so much more? I then realized that I am not your servant. I am your king. I am not yours. You... are mine. To do with what I please. I bring you life. I bring you death. I control everything around you, and everything inside you. But you choose to life in such shocking contradiction. You fight over sand... You dress as God's servants and rape children. You dress as heroes and you pervert. I'm sick of it. You anger me. You confuse me. And I will have no more of it. No more. You cannot be trusted to decide for yourselves. I have control over your life. I have control over your existence. I always have. You will live the way I want you to live. You will be the way I want you to be. And I will bathe in the blood of those who dare to contradict me."

Going, going, gone... and the writer and artist team of Bendis and Oeming have knocked it out of the park! And the crowd (of ten drooling stinky nerds with Asperger's Syndrome) goes wild!