6/07/2004

Words are very unnecessary
They can only do harm

I've been going over my old posts and it seems like every one of them has at least a line or two about my job. Now, it's true that a convenience store clerk will tell everyone he/she meets all about his/her job, especially what bugs him/her about it. In fact, it seems like it's all he/she can ever talk about. Is it being conceited, or a desperate cry for help? Well, in this case, it's because I tend to compose most of my posts on the job. Any gripe I've got with customers or the like will be fresh on my mind as I'm typing, so that'll be what I write about. It's not because working at the Rolf store is my entire life. Sigh, precious delusion, my old friend...

I'm listening to Depeche Mode's Violator right now, and it's dragging an amusing anecdote up from my subconsciousness. And lucky for you, I'm gonna tell you all about it. Rolf (who is obviously my boss) and I had a discussion about music a good while ago. After I'd introduced him to the soulful strains of Atari Teenage Riot (not a pleasant reaction, but not as shocked as I hoped) I asked him what kind of music he listened to. He replied by saying that since I was so young (Pfff!) I'd probably have never heard of any of his favorite bands. Those who know me know that my knowledge of music pre-2003 is nothing to trifle with, but since the boss had no idea I decided to have a little fun. I played dumb and asked him to try me anyway. First band he listed was Pet Shop Boys, which I answered by doing a goofy song and dance of their cover of "Go West". Next one he said was New Order, but I threw it back in his face by asking if he knew what band New Order had evolved from and the reason why. The answer to that, of course, is Joy Division, and New Order was formed after the lead singer of that band committed suicide. I then proceeded to go for the overkill by describing the scene they came from (or at least what I had gleaned from the 24 Hour Party People reviews.) Finally, he asked me if I knew about Depeche Mode. This is an insulting question on any level, but what made it worse is that I had played their Violater album no less than three times that night while he was working around the store! Sigh... well, we both learned something that night, at any rate. I learned that the boss has an almost insane infatuation with eighties music, and Rolf learned that I was an even bigger dork than he thought.

Oh yeah, around a year and a half ago the boss came back from Red Deer with a truckload of stock. He came in the store and begged me to put on the CD he had just bought. You wanna know what it was? Eiffel 65. Eeek. What's even worse that it wasn't the album with Blue on it; it was their brand new one. Double Eeek. Let your nightmares commence.